Nova Scotia Museum Research Grants Program
The Nova Scotia Museum Research Grant Program, administered by the museum's board of governors, annually contributes funding toward research projects that improve Nova Scotians' understanding of our natural and cultural history. Research that links with the Nova Scotia Museum collection is prioritized for support. Results from the research may generate artifacts and specimens for the provincial collection or work directly with the existing collection in new and innovative ways.
We thank you for your interest in the Nova Scotia Museum Research Grant Program.
The Terms of Reference and overall scope of the NSM Research Grants has been updated for 2023 to make them more streamlined and reflective of current collections management priorities.
An original research project designed to expand our knowledge of the natural history of Nova Scotia, including Botany, Geology, Biodiversity, Ecology, Systematics, Taxonomy, Palaeo-ecology or Zoology. Proposals are encouraged on timely and relevant topics and projects that relate to the Nova Scotia Museum natural history collection. This could include research working with the existing collection and / or generating new specimens.
An original research project designed to expand our knowledge of the cultural history of Nova Scotia, including history, archaeology, marine history and other topics that relate to the Nova Scotia Museum collection. Proposals are encouraged on timely and relevant topics and projects that relate to Nova Scotia Museum’s cultural history sites or communities (geographic, linguistic, cultural or occupational).
This could include research working with the existing collection and / or generating new collections with an emphasis on areas where the provincial collection is underrepresented.
The following are a few common questions prospective applicants may have about the Nova Scotia Museum Research Grants program.
- What are the funding streams for the research grants? The NSM research grants are based on two broad categories, Natural and/or Cultural History.
- What is the maximum eligible amount for an individual grant? The maximum grant amount is $10,000 CAD.
- I am interested in collaborating with NSM curatorial staff and working with the collection at one of your museum sites. Are travel costs eligible expenses? Yes, travel costs are eligible expenses.
- Where can I find more information about the research grants? The Terms of Reference document provides an overview of the grants program.
- What is the application procedure? The application guidelines are available online.