- The Highland Village public archaeology program is cancelled for tomorrow. Announcement of rain date coming.
- The Cossit House program is cancelled for tomorrow. New date is Sat, June 20th.
The Nova Scotia Museum is hosting a Public Archaeology Day on June 13th. Four Nova Scotia Museum sites will engage the public in archaeology digs on their historic grounds. Local professional archaeologists and museum staff have volunteered their time to talk archaeology and coordinate the excavations throughout the day.
Our goal is to provide the public with an opportunity to experience archaeology and learn about what is involved in excavation and the recording of features and artifacts. It is anticipated that more will be learned about each museum site as a result of the digs. Pre-register and plan to discover new artifacts that will enrich the story of each museum site.
How Do I Sign Up?
- Regular admission fees apply.
- You must be pre-registered to participate in the dig, space is limited.
- Families are welcome, all participants must be 9 years of age or older.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The deadline for pre-registration has been extended to June 8, 2015.
Public Archaeology Day is an event that encompasses all Nova Scotia Museum sites. Museums not hosting a public dig may also have programming or displays highlighting archaeology and artifacts related to their sites. Check in with the Museum you plan to visit for more details about Public Archaeology Day.